Southern Indian Vegetable Curry with Curry Leaves
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationmain course
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturehot & spicy, savory
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 fresh green chillies, deseeded and chopped
- A bunch of curry leaves
- 2 onions, peeled and shredded
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- A pinch of ground cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- 6 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 aubergine (eggplant), cubed
- ½ cup coconut milk
- A handful of haricots verts (green beans)
- A handful of peas
- A handful of okra, sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a pan and fry the mustard seeds for 2 to 3 minutes or until they start to pop.
Add the chillies, curry leaves, onions, coriander (cilantro), cumin seeds, garam masala, turmeric, and chilli powder. Stir and cook over a medium heat until the onion is soft. Stir in the chopped tomatoes.
Add your potatoes and aubergine (eggplant) to the sauce.
Pour in the coconut milk and cook until the potato is soft and cooked through. Throw in the beans, peas, and okra. Season and cook for a few more minutes until tender, then serve with some nice fluffy rice.
2016 Jamie Oliver