- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 97 Times
This is succulent comfort food from the Deep South, with the traditional accompaniment of a smooth cream gravy
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 large eggs
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
For the Cream Gravy
- 1½ tbsp all purpose flour
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- Large plastic food bag
- Large deep saucepan
- Deep-frying thermometer
- Prepare ahead
1. Combine the flour, thyme, Cajun seasoning, and sugar in a large self-sealing plastic bag and season well with salt and pepper.
2. One at a time, add the drumsticks and thighs to the bag and shake until coated. Transfer to a wax paper-lined baking sheet.
3. Beat the eggs in a shallow dish. Dip the floured chicken in the egg, then return to the flour and coat again. Place the chicken on the baking sheet and chill for 30 minutes.
4. Fill a large deep saucepan halfway with oil and heat over high heat to 325°F (170°C). Add the chicken and deep-fry for about 20 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to paper towels.
5. To make the cream gravy, transfer 2 tbsp of the frying oil to a saucepan. Whisk in the flour. Cook over low heat for 1 minute, then whisk in the milk. Cook, whisking often, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
Prepare ahead: Steps 1 and 2 can be completed 1 hour or more before cooking.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving and 4 cups oil for frying.