- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 21 Times
Beaten egg whites give this omelet a light and fluffy texture. Good with toast and grilled tomatoes.
- 2 large eggs, separated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup shredded sharp Cheddar
- ¼ cup shredded Gruyere
- 1 oz (30g) sliced ham, cut into strips
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- 7 in (18cm) nonstick frying pan
1. Preheat the broiler. Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl until pale and lightly thickened. Whisk in 2 tbsp water and season with salt and pepper. Add the whites to the yolks. Add 2 tbsp each of the Cheddar and Gruyére and fold together with a rubber spatula just until combined.
2. Heat the butter in an 7in (18cm) nonstick frying pan over medium heat until the butter is foaming. Add the egg mixture and spread evenly. Cook for about 1 minute, until the eggs look set around the edges. Run a heatproof spatula around the edge of the omelet to loosen it.
3. Sprinkle with the remaining Cheddar and Gruyére and the ham. Broil about 1 minute, until the top of the omelet is set. Run the spatula around the edge of omelet. Fold the omelet almost in half and slide onto the plate. Sprinkle with the chives and serve hot.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox