Soba Noodle Vegetable Salad
Ribbons of colorful vegetables and fresh herbs intertwine with tender noodles in this delicately flavored salad. It is a perfect accompaniment for spicy Asian dishes.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Courseside dish
Dietary Considerationside dish
Taste and Textureherby, light, umami
Type of Dishsalad
- 4 ounces soba noodles or whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 large shallot, very thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1/3 cup shredded fresh basil
- 1/3 cup shredded fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon walnut or canola oil
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon Asian fish sauce or 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- 12 large Bibb lettuce leaves
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and cook the noodles according to the package directions. Drain and let cool.
In a medium to large bowl, combine the noodles and the remaining salad ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients, add to the noodle salad, and toss lightly to coat.
To serve, scoop spoonfuls of the noodle salad into the lettuce leaves and eat out of hand.
2008 Ellie Krieger