Smoky Tomato Salsa
Chipotle chiles (smoked jalapeños–very hot!) are the perfect partner for sweet, ripe tomatoes in this spunky salsa.
TOMATOES ARE POTENT
Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants that are believed to have cancer-fighting properties. It’s interesting to note that both fresh and processed tomatoes—including tomato-based products like tomato Juice, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and even ketchup—have been found to contain significant levels of antioxidants. So you don’t have to wait until tomato season to reap the rewards.
Preparation Time10 min
Preparation Time - Text10 minutes, plus time to chill
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Taste and Textureherby, hot & spicy, savory, tangy
Type of Dishsalsa
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes (1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle chiles
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 medium-sized scallions, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley and/or cilantro
Cut the tomatoes into ½-inch dice and place in a medium-sized bowl.
Add the garlic, chipotle, salt, vinegar, olive oil, and lime juice, and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until shortly before serving.
Stir in the scallions and parsley just before serving. Serve cold.
2. Add the garlic, chipotle, salt, vinegar, olive oil, and lime juice, and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until shortly before serving.
3. Stir in the scallions and parsley just before serving. Serve cold.
2002 Tante Malka, Inc