These canapés are one of the most simple, sophisticated, and appreciated appetizers I know.
- 2½ tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 pound square-loaf European-style whole-grain, rye, or pumpernickel bread
- 12 ounces thinly sliced best-quality smoked salmon
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the ginger and butter in a food processor and process until smooth and fluffy. Or beat the mixture using an electric mixer.
2. Cut each slice of bread into 4 triangles. Toast lightly and let cool. Spread each triangle generously with the ginger butter and top with a slice of salmon. Sprinkle the top of each canapé with a little freshly ground pepper. Arrange on serving trays and pass.
Serving size is 2 canapés.