- Course: Cold Appetizer, Hors D'oeuvre
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 87 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
These easy party appetizers can be served with drinks or as a first course alongside a salad.
1. Cut the smoked salmon into 16 strips about 5 × 1½ in (12cm × 4cm). Cut the cucumber into sticks measuring 1½ in (4cm) by ¼ in (5mm).
2. Combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon zest, dill, and horseradish together in a bowl and mash together until ingredients are fully combined.
3. Lay the smoked salmon strips on the work surface. Spread with the cheese mixture, leaving 1in (2.5cm) empty at one short end. Lay a cucumber stick about ½ in (1cm) from the cheese-spread end, and roll up tightly.
4. Arrange the rolls on a serving platter. Garnish with dill sprigs and lemon wedges, and serve chilled.
Smoked Salmon and Asparagus Rolls
Replace the cucumber sticks with 16 thin asparagus spears, cut about 1½ in (4cm) long. Boil until just tender, toss with 2 tbsp vinaigrette, and let cool.
Smoked Salmon and Shrimp Rolls
Replace the cream cheese mixture and cucumber sticks with 16 cooked shrimp. Mix 3 tbsp mayonnaise, 2 tsp tomato ketchup, 1 tsp fresh lemon juice, and a dash of hot red pepper sauce. Toss the shrimp in the mayonnaise and roll in the smoked salmon strips.
Smoked Salmon and Egg Rolls
Replace the cream cheese mixture with 4 chopped hard-boiled eggs mixed with 2 tbsp mayonnaise and 1 tsp Dijon mustard.
Inside-out Smoked Salmon Rolls
Peel wide strips of cucumber using a vegetable peeler. Lay the strips out and spread the cream cheese mixture over each one. Scatter over finely chopped smoked salmon and roll up.
Prepare ahead: If making ahead, stand the rolls on end on a large plate and cover tightly with plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out. Chill until ready to serve.
Nutritional Benefits: low GI
Nutritional information is based on 16 servings.