- Course: Hot Appetizer
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 25 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
This popular restaurant appetizer is easy to make at home.
1. Make the mayonnaise. Pulse the egg yolks, mustard, lemon juice, and sugar in a food processor until well combined. With the machine running, pour in the oil in a thin stream. Stir in the dill and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
2. Parboil the potatoes in boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain and cool. Peel and shred on a box grater.
3. Combine the grated potato, salmon, scallions, parsley, egg, and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. In a shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs with the dill and parsley.
4. Shape the potato mixture into 6 cakes and coat in the bread crumbs. Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the cakes and fry, turning once, about 5 minutes, until golden on both sides. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
5. Serve hot, garnished with the lemon wedges, and serve the mayonnaise on the side.
Prepare ahead: The cakes can be made the day before, covered, and refrigerated. The mayonnaise can be made 2 days in advance.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.