Smoked Salmon Potato Cakes
This popular restaurant appetizer is easy to make at home.
Prepare ahead: The cakes can be made the day before, covered, and refrigerated. The mayonnaise can be made 2 days in advance.
Preparation Time10 min
Preparation Time - Text10 mins
Cooking Time10 min
Cooking Time - Text10
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Recipe Coursehot appetizer
Taste and Texturesavory
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup plus 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp chopped dill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb 2oz (500g) baking potatoes, such as russet
- 9 oz (250g) smoked salmon, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup dried plain bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
Make the mayonnaise. Pulse the egg yolks, mustard, lemon juice, and sugar in a food processor until well combined. With the machine running, pour in the oil in a thin stream. Stir in the dill and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
Parboil the potatoes in boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain and cool. Peel and shred on a box grater.
Combine the grated potato, salmon, scallions, parsley, egg, and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. In a shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs with the dill and parsley.
Shape the potato mixture into 6 cakes and coat in the bread crumbs. Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the cakes and fry, turning once, about 5 minutes, until golden on both sides. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
Serve hot, garnished with the lemon wedges, and serve the mayonnaise on the side.
4. Shape the potato mixture into 6 cakes and coat in the bread crumbs. Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the cakes and fry, turning once, about 5 minutes, until golden on both sides. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
2008 Dorling Kindersley