These Sloppy Joes are everything you could wish for in this crowd-pleasing sandwich—a rich, meaty filling smothered in tangy-sweet, thick tomato sauce that just refuses to stay inside the bun. You definitely need a fork and a few napkins to eat this mouthwatering meal!
- 1 pound lean or extra-lean (90% lean or higher) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1½ cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 4 teaspoons)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
- One 15.5-ounce can small red or pinto beans, preferably low-sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsulfured molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 whole-wheat burger buns
Brown the meat and onion in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, breaking up the meat into crumbles as it cooks. Pour the drippings out of the pan and discard. Add the garlic, jalapeño, and red pepper and cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, except the buns, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Place a ½-cup scoop of the mixture onto each bun and serve,
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Serving Size: 1 Sandwich
Total Fat: 4.5g
Excellent Source of Fiber, Manganese, Molybdenum, Niacin, Protein, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Zinc.
Good Source of Copper, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Thiamin, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6.