- Course: Hot Appetizer
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 35 Times
Large shrimp are cloaked in a cheese-flavored cream sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz (115g) pancetta or slab bacon, diced
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup créme fraîche or heavy cream
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp freshly shredded Parmesan cheese, to garnish
- Baby spinach leaves, to garnish
1. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook for 5 minutes until beginning to brown. Add the scallions and garlic, and cook 3 minutes more, or until the scallions are just beginning to soften.
2. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes, until they are almost completely opaque. Add the créme fraîche and bring just to a simmer. Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer until the shrimp are opaque throughout, about 1 minute.
3. Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and garnish with spinach. Serve hot.
Pasta with Shrimp: Turn this into a main dish for 4 by serving it as a sauce over spaghetti. Add a touch of spice with a dash of hot sauce.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.