Published by Workman
There is something about eating tacos that’s just plain fun–both kids and adults love them. They’re great filled with chili, but they morph into a wow! when shrimp are the centerpiece. These are worthy of a fresh corn salsa, minty yogurt topping, and the whole nine yards (make that ten yards). Since football starts at the beginning of September and corn is still available at the farm stands, I’d serve these for Monday Night Football for as long as possible! They are real TD food.
• Ancho chile powder is available in large supermarkets and in specialty food stores.
• If serving tortillas, wrap them in aluminum foil and heat them for 3 minutes in a 350°F oven.
Total Timeunder 4 hours
OccasionFamily Get-together, game day
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationmain course
Taste and Texturecreamy, crunchy, fruity, juicy, spiced, tangy, tart
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined, rinsed, and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon ancho chile powder (see Notes)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 hard corn taco shells or soft flour tortillas (see Notes)
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, thinly shredded crosswise
- 1 cup Farm Stand Corn Salsa
Prepare the Minted Lime Yogurt: Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, and stir well. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
Prepare the shrimp: Place the shrimp in a bowl, and add the olive oil, lime juice, chile powder, and salt and pepper. Toss, and let marinate for 15 minutes at room temperature.
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the shrimp and sauté until they are pink and opaque, 2 minutes per side. Transfer the shrimp to a bowl and let them cool to room temperature. Then cut the shrimp in half crosswise (there will be 2 cups of shrimp).
To assemble the tacos, place ¼ cup of the cooked shrimp in each taco shell. Top with a small handful of the shredded lettuce, followed by 2 tablespoons of the Farm Stand Corn Salsa. Dollop with a tablespoon of the Minted Lime Yogurt. Serve immediately, passing the extra Minted Lime Yogurt in a small bowl.
2008 Sheila Lukins