- Course: Hot Appetizer
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Challenging
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 49 Times
These get their name because they were served to commemorate the first day of Spring in the Chinese calendar
- 8 oz (225g) medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ½ red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 4 oz (115g) shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and chopped
- 4 scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
- ¾ in (2cm) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp rice wine or cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for deep-frying
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 6 napa cabbage leaves, tough stalks cut away
- 1 tbsp cornstarch, plus more for the baking sheet
- 12 spring roll wrappers
- Sweet chile dipping sauce, to serve
1. In a bowl, mix together the shrimp, bean sprouts, red pepper, mushrooms, scallions, ginger, vinegar, and soy sauce.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp mixture and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Set aside to cool, then stir in the chicken.
3. In a bowl, mix the cornstarch with 4 tbsp cold water.
4. Dust a baking sheet with cornstarch. Lay a wrapper on a work surface. Top with half a cabbage leaf and 1 tbsp of the shrimp mixture. Brush the edges with the dissolved cornstarch and roll up around the filling, tucking in the sides and pressing together to seal. Place on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
5. Line another baking sheet with paper towels. Preheat the oven to 200°F (100°C). Pour ¼ in (5mm) oil into a large frying pan. In batches, add the rolls and fry, turning occasionally, about 4 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Keep warm in the oven while frying the remaining rolls. Serve hot, with the chile sauce for dipping.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 12 servings, 1/2 cup added oil for frying and does not include the sweet chile sauce.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox