- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 23 Times
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 red Thai chiles, seeded and minced
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly slice
- 1 teaspoon belacan or 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp—shelled, deveined and coarsely chopped
- 3 1/2 cups cold cooked white rice
- Water, for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped pickled mustard greens
Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a wok. Add the eggs and scramble lightly with a wooden spoon over high heat. Transfer the eggs to a plate.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the wok. When the oil is hot, add the chiles, shallots, garlic and belacan and stir-fry over high heat until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the rice, reduce the heat to moderate and cook, stirring, until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes; sprinkle the rice with water as necessary to keep it moist.
Stir the oyster sauce, soy sauce, white pepper and sugar into the rice. Stir in the scrambled eggs.
Transfer the rice to a platter or bowl, garnish with the scallions, cilantro and pickled mustard greens and serve.
© 2013 Zakary Pelaccio