- Course: Cold Appetizer
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 36 Times
Corn kernels and avocado give a south-of-the-border twist to this perennial favorite.
- 9 oz (250g) large shrimp
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp hot red pepper sauce
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro, plus sprigs to garnish
- ¼ head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 2 tbsp fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
1. Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the last tail segment attached on 4 of the shrimp to use as a garnish.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes until they turn pink. Transfer to a bowl, and toss with the lime juice. Add the hot sauce, and toss again. Let cool.
3. Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, tomato paste, and chopped cilantro together in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to blend the flavors.
4. Divide the lettuce among 4 dessert glasses. Set aside the 4 shrimp with their tails. Add the avocado and corn to the remaining shrimp and mix gently, taking care not to break up the avocado. Spoon equal amounts of the shrimp mixture into the glasses.
5. Top with mayonnaise sauce and garnish with the reserved shrimp and cilantro sprigs.
Caution: Devein the shrimp through the back and remove the shells.
Prepare ahead: Steps 1–3 can be completed several hours ahead.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox