- Course: Main Course, Snack
- Total Time: Under 15 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 5 Times
To me, this is the perfect recipe, with the ideal mix of ingredients. Make sure you have extra napkins ready before you bite into this sandwich — you will need them!
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Italian rolls, split
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- ¼ cup (50 ml) mayonnaise
- 8 oz (250 g) medium shrimp, cooked and halved lengthwise
- 2 oz (60 g) Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp
- 1 large avocado, sliced
Preheat panini grill to high.
1. Sprinkle tomato slices evenly with salt and pepper; set aside.
2. Place rolls, cut side down, on a work surface and brush crusts with oil. Turn rolls over and spread with mayonnaise. On bottom halves, evenly layer with shrimp, cheese, bacon, avocado and seasoned tomato. Cover with top halves and press gently to pack.
3. Place sandwiches in grill, close the top plate and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.
Variation: Try using freshly baked, thickly sliced sourdough bread — what a treat!
If you have leftover grilled shrimp from a cookout, they would be wonderful in this recipe.
Remove the flesh of an avocado by cutting it in half lengthwise. Twist it open, leaving the pit on one side. Gently strike the pit with a large, sharp knife (I use my French knife) and twist again to remove the pit. Using a large soup spoon, scoop the flesh from the skin and slice it. Avocado flesh browns easily once it is sliced; to keep browning to a minimum, sprinkle it with lime or lemon juice.
© 2008 Tiffany Collins