- Course: Dessert
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 3 Times
This sweet gluten and wheat free cake has great texture. Enjoy it plain or topped with Strawberry Cashew Cream. It’s also delicious with a drizzle of Strawberry Sauce and a dollop of whipped cream.
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour, or Chinese “forbidden” black rice flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2½ tablespoons flaxseeds (see Notes)
- 1 cup apple or cherry juice
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-inch cake pan and set aside.
2. Combine the quinoa and brown rice flours, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl, and set aside.
3. Place the flaxseeds in a blender and grind to a powder. Add the juice, oil, maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla, and blend well. Add to the flour mixture and stir to form a smooth batter.
4. Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Let the cake cool 30 minutes before removing from the pan. Slice and serve.
When ground into meal, nutty-flavored flaxseeds-rich in beneficial omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E-can take the place of eggs in quick breads, pie crusts, and pancakes.
© 2005 Leslie Cerier