- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 88 Times
Here’s a new version of an old standby that everyone will enjoy. Delicious when hot out of the oven, it also makes a great leftover.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable stock
- 12 oz (375 g) soy ground meat alternative
- 10 oz (300 g) frozen mixed vegetables (about 1 1/2 cups/375 mL), thawed and drained (see Notes)
- 2 cups (500 mL) Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 1½ cups (375 mL) shredded vegan Cheddar cheese alternative
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8-cup (2 L) casserole dish, greased
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add vegetable stock and cook for 3 minutes. Add soy ground meat alternative. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
2. Add vegetables and stir well. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Transfer to prepared casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes, spreading evenly. Sprinkle vegan Cheddar cheese alternative over top.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until potatoes and cheese form a soft crust on top.
Frozen mixed vegetables come in several varieties. Those that include corn, green beans and peas work best in this dish.
© 2005 Maxine Effenson Chuck and Beth Gurney
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings, 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving, and does not include the Garlic Mashed Potatoes. For nutritional information on the Garlic Mashed Potatoes, please follow the link above.