Ceviche lightly pickles raw fish to conserve freshness and bring out its true flavor. Good with crusty bread or tortilla chips.
- 1 lb (450g) very fresh, firm-fleshed fish, such as salmon, snapper, tuna, or monkfish
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 fresh hot red or green chile, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1. With a sharp knife, thinly slice the fish.
2. Spread the sliced onion evenly in the bottom of a shallow nonreactive dish. Pour the lime juice over the onion, then sprinkle it with the oil, paprika, and chile.
3. Layer the fish on top, turning the slices to coat with the marinade.
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve chilled.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.