- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 15 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 7 Times
Almost everybody who’s eaten meatlessly has a scrambled tofu recipe; this is mine, and very good it is. It is both like and not like scrambled eggs; perhaps “somewhat reminiscent” would be accurate. Lots of sautéed vegetables, seasonings, and turmeric, for the yellow color, are its secrets. Serve with whole-grain toast and fresh fruit. Revise the vegetables, as taste, time, and what’s on hand permit. Shiitakes, jalapeños, fresh spinach, ripe tomatoes cut into eighths—all these have occasionally found their way into my scrambled tofu. Sometimes I’ve served this rolled in toasted tortillas, sometimes with biscuits. Though oil is optional, the dish is much tastier when a bit is used.
A quickie way to do scrambled tofu, for all you I-don’t-have-time-to-cook types, is to use New Menu Tofu Mate Breakfast Scramble Seasoning Mix.
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil (optional)
- Cooking spray
- 1 onion, sliced
- ½ green or red bell pepper, cut into slivers (optional)
- 1 small handful button mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, pressed (optional but very good)
- 1 package (12 to 16 ounces) traditional, water-packed tofu, preferably reduced fat, regular, firm, or extra-firm, crumbled into scrambled egg-sized clumps, well drained
Seasonings to taste:
- Tamari or shoyu soy sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh minced herbs of any kind
1. Heat the oil, if using, in a nonstick skillet, or one that has been sprayed with cooking spray, over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 4 minutes. Add the pepper and, if using, the mushroom slices and sauté for another 3 minutes. Lower the heat slightly. Sprinkle with the turmeric and paprika, then add the garlic. Sauté for an additional minute.
2. Add the tofu, tossing to coat with the spices and to distribute the vegetables. Keep turning in the skillet until everything is nice and hot. Season as it suits you. Serve at once.
© 2002 Crescent Dragonwagon
Nutritional information is based on using 12 ounces of firm tofu, does not include optional olive or vegetable oil, or Seasonings to Taste.