- Course: Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 128 Times
- 3 pounds (about 7 medium) potatoes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, diced, plus more for greasing the dish
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup firm cheese, such as cheddar or Gruyère, grated (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease an 9-by-12-inch baking dish. Peel the potatoes and slice them ¼-inch thick. Place half the potatoes in the baking dish. Add half the cheese if you are using it. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour, 2 tablespoons butter, and ½ teaspoon salt. Add the remaining potatoes and sprinkle them with the remaining flour, butter, salt, pepper, and cheese if you are using it. Pour the milk over everything.
Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 40 minutes longer. Serve hot.
© 2004 Tina Davis
This recipe serves 6, but does not include optional grated cheddar or gruyere cheese.