Ceviche is one of the most cooling of all summer salads and is inspired by the fiery cuisines of Latin America.
Makes10 to 12 servings
Total Timeunder 4 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursecold appetizer
Taste and Texturecrunchy, hot & spicy, light, savory, tangy, umami
- 3 pounds fresh sea or bay scallops
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 bunch scallions, white bulbs and green stalks, minced
- ½ cup minced fresh coriander
- ¼ cup fruity olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Lime wedges for garnish
Place the scallops in a large mixing bowl and pour over the lime and lemon juices. Add the tomatoes, peppers, and scallions and toss together. Add the coriander, oil, salt, and pepper and toss thoroughly to coat.
Transfer the ceviche to a serving bowl and refrigerate covered several hours to allow the lime juice to “cook” the scallops and the flavors to blend. Serve cold on small salad plates, garnished with lime wedges.
1987 Sarah Leah Chase