- Course: Antipasto/Mezze, Hot Appetizer
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 19 Times
These stylish canapès can also be served as a simple appetizer. Good with a dry white wine.
- 12 slices Italian bread, such as ciabatta, about ¾ in (2cm) thick
- ½ garlic clove
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 sea scallops
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp store-bought pesto
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 12 fresh basil leaves, to garnish
1. Preheat the broiler and position the broiler rack about 6in (15cm) from the source of heat. Broil the bread slices in the broiler until toasted golden on both sides. Rub one side of each slice with the garlic clove. Brush the garlic side of each slice with about 2 tsp olive oil.
2. Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the scallops, sprinkle with the lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and tender; keep hot.
3. Spread one half of each toasted bread slice with pesto and the other half with tomato paste.
4. Cut each scallop in half horizontally and put 1 scallop half on top of each crostini. Grind black pepper over the top. Serve hot, garnished with basil leaves.
Prepare ahead: Step 1 can be done in advance.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 12 servings.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox