- Course: Hot Appetizer, Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 7 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Anchovies give a salty kick to this mild onion tart.
1. Roll out the pie dough on a lightly floured work surface, and use to line the tart pan. Chill for 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the onions and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes, until the onions are meltingly tender. Uncover and cook for 4–5 minutes more, or until golden. Let cool.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line the tart crust with parchment paper and fill with pie weights. Bake about 10 minutes, until set. Remove the paper and weights and bake until beginning to brown, about 10 minutes more.
4. Reduce the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spread the onions in the shell. Whisk together the cheese, eggs, half and half, and caraway seeds. Season with salt and pepper and pour over the onions. Arrange the anchovies on top. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the filling is set. Cool slightly then remove the sides of the pan. Serve warm.
The tart can be baked a few hours in advance then reheated in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 15 minutes, until hot.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.