A fresher version of pork and beans, this satisfying supper dish is especially good on a cold winter evening.
- 12 sweet Italian pork sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/3 cup white wine
- One 14.5oz (411g) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups thawed frozen lima beans
- 1 tbsp chopped basil or parsley
1. Position a broiler rack 6in (15cm) from the source of heat and preheat the broiler. Prick the sausages with a fork. Arrange on the broiler rack and broil about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes, or until softened. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the wine. Bring to a boil, then stir in the canned tomatoes with their juices. Stir in the ketchup and paprika, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until lightly thickened.
3. Stir in the lima beans and sausages. Simmer for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and serve hot.