- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 8 Times
A fresher version of pork and beans, this satisfying supper dish is especially good on a cold winter evening.
- 12 sweet Italian pork sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/3 cup white wine
- One 14.5oz (411g) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups thawed frozen lima beans
- 1 tbsp chopped basil or parsley
1. Position a broiler rack 6in (15cm) from the source of heat and preheat the broiler. Prick the sausages with a fork. Arrange on the broiler rack and broil about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes, or until softened. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the wine. Bring to a boil, then stir in the canned tomatoes with their juices. Stir in the ketchup and paprika, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until lightly thickened.
3. Stir in the lima beans and sausages. Simmer for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and serve hot.
Freezing Information: Can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Leftovers can be reheated and eaten with crusty bread to mop up the juices.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving, and using 3 oz sausage links.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox