- Course: Hors D'oeuvre
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 73 Times
Serve these at a cocktail party, they are a sure bet to disappear.
- ½ package thawed frozen puff pastry
- 1½ lb (675g) bulk pork sausage
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Roll the puff pastry on a lightly floured work surface into a 12in (30cm) square. Cut in half.
3. Combine the sausage, onion, thyme, lemon zest, mustard, and egg yolk, and season with salt and pepper.
4. Beat the egg. Form half of the sausage mixture into a 12in (30cm) long sausage shape. Place in the center of one pastry strip. Brush the pastry with beaten egg, roll up to enclose the sausage, and pinch the seam closed. Repeat with the remaining pastry and sausage mixture. Cut each roll crosswise into 12 pieces.
5. Place the rolls, seam down, on the baking sheet. Using kitchen scissors, snip 2 cuts in the top of each roll. Brush with beaten egg. Bake for 10–12 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Good with a spicy mustard dipping sauce.
Freeze, unbaked, for up to 3 months.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Serving size is one roll. Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.