- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 22 Times
This is pure winter bliss. Serve it with creamy mashed potatoes and it will remain a favorite.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 Italian sweet pork sausages
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz (225g) cremini mushrooms
- 1¼ cups chicken stock
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp chopped sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- Large flameproof casserole
1. Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the sausages, cook until golden, and remove.
2. Add the onion and cook until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, then stir in the stock, apple, sage, and bay leaf.
3. Bring to a boil, then return the sausages. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook gently for 20 minutes, stirring often. The apple pieces should break down and thicken the sauce slightly. If they are still holding their shape, mash them with the back of a wooden spoon and stir in.
4. Mix the cream and mustards together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Pour into the casserole, increase the heat, and boil gently for 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
Special Equipment: Large flameproof casserole.
Good with cabbage and creamy mashed potatoes.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving, and is based on using 3 oz sausage links.