Sausage and Apple Dressing
Fragrant with sage, this is a tasty side dish for any poultry.
The stuffing can be covered and refrigerated up to 1 day before baking
Good with any poultry.
Leftovers make great sandwich fillings, with cranberry sauce, tomato chutney, or mustard.
Freezing Information: freeze for up to 2 months.
Preparation Time10 min
Preparation Time - Text10 mins
Cooking Time40 min
Cooking Time - Text40
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party, Family Get-together, Formal Dinner Party
Recipe Courseside dish, starch
Dietary Considerationside dish, starch
Taste and Texturefruity, meaty, savory
Type of Dishstuffing
- 2 slices day-old white or whole wheat bread, crusts removed
- ¼ cup chicken stock or milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped sage, plus whole leaves to garnish
- 1 lb (450g) bulk pork sausage
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few whole cranberries, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Cut the bread into ½ in (13mm) pieces. Place in a mixing bowl, sprinkle with the stock, and let stand 5 minutes, until softened. Mash the soaked bread with a fork, then stir in the beaten egg.
Stir in the shallots and sage. Add the sausage and apple and season with salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
Oil an 11 × 8in (28 × 20cm) baking dish. Spoon the stuffing mixture into the dish. Bake 30 minutes, or until the top is browned.
Garnish with the sage leaves and cranberries. Serve hot, from the dish.
2008 Dorling Kindersley