- Course: Side Dish, Starch
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 13 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Fragrant with sage, this is a tasty side dish for any poultry.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Cut the bread into ½ in (13mm) pieces. Place in a mixing bowl, sprinkle with the stock, and let stand 5 minutes, until softened. Mash the soaked bread with a fork, then stir in the beaten egg.
2. Stir in the shallots and sage. Add the sausage and apple and season with salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
3. Oil an 11 × 8in (28 × 20cm) baking dish. Spoon the stuffing mixture into the dish. Bake 30 minutes, or until the top is browned.
4. Garnish with the sage leaves and cranberries. Serve hot, from the dish.
The stuffing can be covered and refrigerated up to 1 day before baking
Good with any poultry.
Leftovers make great sandwich fillings, with cranberry sauce, tomato chutney, or mustard.
Freezing Information: freeze for up to 2 months.
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving and using chicken stock.