- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 3 Times
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 to 2 serrano chile, stemmed and seeded if desired
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, and seeded
- ¾ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- ½ bunch cilantro, leaves only, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- About ¾ cup water
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a dry heavy skillet, toast the garlic and serranos over medium heat, until slightly charred. Remove. Add the pumpkin seeds to the skillet and toast until browned. Transfer the garlic, serranos, and seeds to a blender, along with the poblanos, herbs, oil, and lime juice. Blend, adding water as necessary, until a smooth thick dipping paste, like pesto, is formed. Season with salt and pepper and blend to combine.
© 1997 Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.