- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 27 Times
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- ¼ cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard (mustard powder)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (any combination of chervil, parsley, chives, tarragon, and marjoram)
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 head oak leaf lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, washed and dried
- ¼ pound green beans, stem-ends trimmed, cooked
- ¼ pound yellow beans (wax beans), stem-ends trimmed, cooked
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and halved
- 12 cooked new potatoes, halved
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 (7-ounce) cans Italian-style tuna fish packed in oil, drained
- 2 tablespoons capers, washed and drained
- 8 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained and patted dry
Prepare the vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, thoroughly whisk the vinegar, mustards, salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil until the vinaigrette is creamy. Stir in the herbs. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Chill all the ingredients for the salad before combining.
Place all the ingredients, except the anchovies, in a large salad bowl and toss with enough vinaigrette to coat. Arrange the anchovy fillets on top of the salad or mash them into a paste and blend with the vinaigrette before tossing with the salad.
© 1997 Christopher Idone
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.