This well-known classic French salad is made here with fresh tuna for a main-course serving.
- 9 oz (250g) green beans, trimmed
- 4 tuna steaks, 5 oz (140g) each
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, trimmed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 8–10 basil leaves
- 9 oz (250g) plum tomatoes, quartered lengthways
- 12 Kalamata olives
- 8 anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 4 large, hard boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
1. Cook the green beans in gently boiling water, for 3–4 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Drain the beans, rinse well under cold water, and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Heat a ridged grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the tuna steaks with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sear the tuna for 2 minutes on each side; the centers should be slightly pink.
3. To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and garlic. Slowly whisk in the remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Combine the lettuce, basil, green beans, tomatoes, olives, anchovies, and onion in a large bowl. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and gently toss.
5. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Cut each tuna steak in half crosswise and arrange both halves on top of the salad. Garnish with the eggs.
Grilled Chicken Salad:
Grill 4 chicken breasts instead of tuna. Both versions are good with the addition of boiled new potatoes that have been chilled and thickly sliced, and a sprinkle of capers .
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.