Saffron Chicken Brochettes
Ideal for a summer barbecue.
Caution: to prevent burning, soak wooden skewers in water for 30 mins
Preparation Time10 min
Preparation Time - Text10 mins, plus marinating
Cooking Time10 min
Cooking Time - Text10
Total Timeunder 4 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturesavory
Type of Dishskewer
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts 6 oz (175g) each, cubed
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Zest and juice of 3 lemons
- ¼ tsp crumbled saffron threads, dissolved in 1 tbsp of boiling water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Chopped basil, to garnish
- 12 wooden or metal skewers
Put the chicken and onions in a large nonmetallic bowl. Whisk together the oil, lemon zest, the juice from 2 lemons and the saffron water. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken and onions, mix gently, and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Mix the butter and the remaining lemon juice together.
Place an oiled rack 6 in (15cm) from the heat. Preheat the broiler, and thread the chicken onto the skewers. Broil, turning occasionally, brushing with the butter mixture, about 10 minutes. Garnish with the basil and serve hot.
3. Place an oiled rack 6 in (15cm) from the heat. Preheat the broiler, and thread the chicken onto the skewers. Broil, turning occasionally, brushing with the butter mixture, about 10 minutes. Garnish with the basil and serve hot.
2008 Dorling Kindersley