- Course: Appetizer
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 35 Times
The combined essences of grilled peppers, tomatoes, chile, and roasted nuts make this Catalan sauce utterly vivid. Serve it with warm chickpeas or large white beans and/or virtually any grilled vegetable. Spread it on garlic rubbed croutons and cover with sliced green olives and parsley for a delicious appetizer to serve with a glass of sherry.
- 1 slice country-style white bread
- Olive oil for frying
- ¼ cup almonds, roasted
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, roasted and peeled
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground red chile or red pepper flakes to taste
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon parsley leaves
- Salt and freshly milled pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, preferably Spanish
Fry the bread in a little olive oil until golden and crisp. When cool, grind the bread, nuts, garlic, and chile in a food processor. Add everything but the vinegar and oil and process until smooth. With the machine running, gradually pour in the vinegar, then the oil. Taste and make sure the sauce has plenty of piquancy and enough salt.
© 1997 Deborah Madison
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 16 servings, includes 1/4 teaspoon of added salt, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil for frying the bread.