- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 2 Times
Here’s a recipe that really shows the beauty of having preassembled components at the ready to combine into shows stopping--but practically effortless--dinners. Prepare the layered vegetables confit ahead of time, allowing its flavors to mellow, and then pair it with the crisp-skinned roasted fish at serving time. Add a drizzle of herbal green oil to pull all the elements together. Each plate will have generous amounts of fish and vegetables and an interesting of textures.
For the cod:
- 6 cod fillets, 6 to 8 ounces each and 1½ to 2 inches thick
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the cod:
Preheat the oven to 450°F.
Rub the fish with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and place in a lightly oiled pan.
Place the pan in the middle or upper third of the oven and roast 12 to 15 minutes, depending on thickness.
Divide the confit into 6 portions and place on serving plates, Place a cod fillet on top of each portion and drizzle 1 tablespoon basil oil around it.
For the cod, substitute 6 whole snapper, 1 to 1¼ pounds each, stuffed with 2 springs thyme each.
Order of preparation:
• Prepare the Confit Bayaldi.
• Prepare the Basil Oil.
• While the confit is reheating, roast the cod.
• The basil oil can be refrigerated up to 2 days.
• The confit bayaldi can be refrigerated 8 hours, overnight, or up to 2 days; reheat over low heat for about 15 minutes.
© 1996 Debra Ponzek and Joan Schwartz
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving, using 6oz salmon fillets, and does not include Confit Bayaldi or Basil Oil. For nutritional information on Confit Bayaldi or Basil Oil, please follow the links above.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox