Roasted Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Arugula Salad
Using sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes makes this an intriguing dish, indeed. It’s delicious anytime, but especially in fall and winter, when sweet potatoes are in season.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Taste and Textureherby, meaty, savory, sweet, tangy, tart
Type of Dishmain course salad, salad
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves with skin (about 4 pounds)
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths
- 6 shallots, quartered
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme or heaping ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 leaves fresh basil, cut into very thin strips (chiffonade)
- 1 cup Herbed Balsamic Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 bunch of arugula, washed, drained, and stems removed
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons mixed chopped fresh basil, parsley, and thyme
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup canola or safflower oil
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Place the chicken in a roasting pan and roast until golden brown, the internal temperature is 165 degrees, and the juices run clear when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife in the thickest part, about 45 minutes. Cool, then remove and discard the skin and bones. Tear the chicken into large pieces and place in a large bowl.
While the chicken cooks, toss the sweet potatoes and shallots with the olive oil, vinegar, and thyme in a large bowl to coat evenly. Spread evenly on a baking pan and roast about 30 minutes, until the potatoes are lightly browned and soft. (Note: The vinegar will evaporate and create a light glaze on the potatoes.) Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
Add the sweet potatoes and shallots to the chicken and toss to mix. Add the basil and the vinaigrette and toss to coat. (This can be prepared a day in advance up to this point.) Season with salt and pepper. Add the arugula and toss lightly just before serving. Serve immediately.
To Make the Herbed Balsamic Vinaigrette:
Combine the vinegar, lemon juice, herbs, and pepper in a small bowl and stir to mix.
Slowly add the olive oil and the canola oil and whisk until all the oil is incorporated. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use or up to 1 week.
2002 Sara Foster