- Course: Cold Appetizer
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 6 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Bresaola, air-dried beef from Northern Italy, adds a salty contrast to sweet roasted beets in a spicy horseradish dressing.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Place the beets on a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil with the thyme and olive oil, and season to taste. Fold the foil into a packet, sealing the edges. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, or until the beets are easily pierced with a knife.
2. Unwrap the beets and let cool. Peel, trim, and cut the beets into rounds. Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with the vinegar.
3. To make the dressing, grate the zest and squeeze the juice from the lemon. Mix with the créme fraîche, horseradish, and vinegar.
4. Divide the arugula among 6 plates, and drizzle with dressing. Top with beets and bresaola. Garnish with the chives and serve.
Prepare ahead: The dressing can be made several days in advance and the beets cooked the day before.
When you rub the skins from the beets, wear rubber gloves to prevent staining your hands pink.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox