- Course: Appetizer, Main Course, Vegetable
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 69 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Deep magenta with accents of white and green, serve this salad as a side dish or a first course. Good with grilled lamb or steak, or on its own, as a light lunch.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Place the beets in a roasting pan. Add ½ cup water and drizzle with the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan with aluminum foil. Roast about 1¾ hrs, or until tender.
2. Uncover the beets and let cool. Peel and dice the beets.
3. Whisk the vinegar, mustard, and honey together in a small bowl, then whisk in the oil. Combine the beets, onions, and dressing in a bowl and toss. Sprinkle the arugula, feta, and mint over the top. Toss gently, and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Variation: Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
Substitute a firm, crumbly goat cheese for the feta. Scatter the salad with ¼ cup pomegranate seeds or toasted pine nuts.
Prepare ahead: The roasted beets and the dressing can be refrigerated separately for up to 1 day before combining.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.