- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 24 Times
Be sure to let this magnificent roast stand at least 15 minutes. Good with Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, and vegetables of your choice.
For the roast:
- 3 lb 3 oz (1.5kg) beef rib roast with bones
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the gravy:
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups beef stock
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Spread the beef with the butter and season with salt and pepper. Place the beef, bone-side down, in a roasting pan.
2. Roast for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F (190°C) and roast to the desired doneness, allowing 15 minutes per 1lb (450g) plus 15 minutes for medium-rare beef. A meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the roast will read 130°F (55°C).
3. Transfer the beef to a platter and tent with aluminum foil. Let stand for 15–20 minutes before carving.
4. To make the gravy, discard all but 2 tbsp of fat from the roasting pan. Place the pan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, scraping up the browned bits in the pan. Whisk in the stock and bring to a boil, whisking constantly, until thickened and smooth. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Strain into a gravy boat. Carve the beef and serve with the gravy.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.