- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 10 Times
Wrap the quail in pancetta to keep the flesh moist. The apples and Calvados add a rich, sweet flavor to the dish.Good with roast potatoes and green beans.
- 8 quail
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Small bunch of sage leaves
- 8 slices of pancetta, unrolled
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tsp raw or light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp Calvados or applejack
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Season the quail inside and out with the nutmeg, salt, and pepper, then tuck a couple of sage leaves into the cavity. Wrap a strip of pancetta around each bird, tucking the ends underneath.
2. Place the apples in a large roasting pan, and toss with the butter and sugar. Arrange the quail on the apples. Roast for 25–30 minutes, turning occasionally, until both the quail and apples have turned golden brown.
3. Transfer the quail and apples to a serving platter. Stir the Calvados into the roasting pan and stir over high heat until it boils. Cook for 30 seconds, then pour over the quail and apples. Serve at once.
Nutritional Benefits: Low fat
Prepare ahead: The quail can be prepared through step 1, covered and refrigerated, up to 1 day ahead.
Freeze for up to 3 months.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox