- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 11 Times
- ¼ pound unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 cups crumbled corn bread
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 dozen oysters, shucked and drained with about 1/2 cup oyster liquor reserved
- 1 egg
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 2 whole chickens (each about 3 1/2 pounds)
Preheat the oven to 450° F.
In a medium skillet, melt the butter and sauté the onions and celery until wilted. Turn into a bowl and add the remaining stuffing ingredients.
Stuff and truss the chickens and set them on a rack in a large roasting pan. Roast for 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the thigh juices run clear, basting from time to time. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
© Christopher Idone
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox