This is a gorgeous, fresh tasting green risotto and is easy to make as it is baked in the oven.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 10 oz green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 4 oz spinach, destalked and chopped
- 4 C vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz risotto rice, such as arborio or carnaroli
- 2/3 C white wine
- 12 stalks of asparagus, ends trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 4 oz Parmesan cheese, shaved, to serve
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). On the stove top, heat half the olive oil in an ovenproof saucepan, add the peas and spinach and cook, stirring all the time, for 2 minutes, until the spinach wilts. Add about ¼ c of the stock and puree in a blender or food processor. Set aside.
In the same saucepan, heat the remaining olive oil, add the onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and sweat over a gentle heat until soft but not colored. Add the risotto rice and stir it around in the saucepan for a minute, then add the remaining stock and the wine. Stir and bring it up to the boil, cover with the lid and place in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is just cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in the vegetable puree and set aside with the lid on.
Bring a saucepan of water up to the boil, add a good pinch of salt and the asparagus. Boil for 2-3 minutes or until it is just tender, then drain. Serve the risotto in warm bowls with the asparagus and Parmesan arranged on top.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.