- 5 eggs, separated
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup chopped candied orange peel or citron
- ¼ cup chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup ground slivered almonds
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- Pinch cream of tartar
- Powdered sugar
- Shaved chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a 10-inch pie plate.
2. Beat egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow and very thick. Fold in the orange peel or citron, chopped chocolate, lemon zest and ground almonds. Puree the ricotta in the food processor or through a food mill and fold into yolk mixture.
3. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff but, not dry. Fold whites into yolk mixture gently but thoroughly. Pour into prepared dish and bake 45 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Sift powdered sugar over all and garnish with shaved chocolate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional information does not include powdered sugar or shaved chocolate.