- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 31 Times
This family favorite is delicious enough to serve at an elegant dinner party. Spoon into crystal goblets and serve warm or cold.
- ¾ cup (175 ml) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) Arborio rice (see Notes)
- ¼ cup (50 ml) dried cherries (see Notes)
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) ground almonds
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated lemon zest
- Pinch salt
- 4 cups (1 L) milk (see Notes)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) almond extract
- Toasted sliced almonds (optional)
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Lightly greased slow cooker stoneware
1. In prepared slow cooker stoneware, mix together sugar, rice, cherries, almonds, lemon zest and salt. Whisk together milk, eggs and almond extract, and stir into rice mixture. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours, until rice is tender and pudding is set. Serve warm, garnished with toasted almonds and whipped cream, if desired.
Long-grain white rice can be successfully used in this recipe, but the pudding will not be as creamy as one made with Arborio rice.
Use 1 cup (250 mL) fresh pitted cherries in place of the dried cherries, if desired. Or substitute an equal quantity of dried cranberries, instead.
For a richer pudding, use half milk and half cream.
© 2004 Judith Finlayson
Nutritional information does not include the optional almonds or whipped cream.