This dish is a staple throughout the Caribbean. Pigeon peas can be found in the Latino section of the market. Good with grilled or roasted meat and poultry, and fried fish, as a substantial side dish.
- 15 oz (420g) can pigeon peas (gandules) drained and rinsed
- One 15 fl oz (420ml) can coconut milk
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup basmati or long grain rice
- Cayenne pepper, for garnish
1. Bring the peas, coconut milk, onion, and green pepper to a simmer in a saucepan over low heat and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Stir in the rice. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes, or until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper and serve hot.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.