- Course: Dessert
- Skill Level: Challenging
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 8 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Tart rhubarb and spicy ginger combine to make a tasty filling for this delicious meringue cake.
The meringues can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week. The filling can be refrigerated 1 day in advance.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. One tablespoon at a time, beat in the sugar until the whites are stiff.
3. Spread the meringue on the baking sheets into two 7in (18cm) circles. Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 250°F (130°C) and bake for 1 hour, until crisp. Cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, cook the rhubarb, sugar, chopped ginger, ground ginger, and 2 tbsp water in a large covered saucepan over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, or until tender. Let cool. If too liquid, drain off some of the juices. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
5. Whip the cream until stiff peaks form and fold in the rhubarb. Spread 1 meringue with the rhubarb cream and top with the remaining meringue. Dust with confectioner's sugar and serve.
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings, and does not include Confectioners' sugar.