- Course: Hot Appetizer, Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 24 Times
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 small fennel bulb – halved, cored, and cut into 2 – inch julienne
- 4 quarts mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 bunch scallions, including some of the green, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
- Freshly milled black pepper
In a large kettle, combine the oil and wine over high heat.
Bring to a boil, add the fennel julienne and reduce the heat to low. Simmer until tender, about 8 minutes. Increase the heat to moderately high and add the mussels and remaining ingredients. Cover tightly and steam until the mussels open. Discard any that do not open.
Serve the mussels in heated bowls with some of the liquid ladled over.
Place the mussels in the freezer for 10 minutes before cooking so they will open faster.
© Christopher Idone
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings.