This winter side dish is a tasty, nutritious accompaniment to roast meats and any number of entrées. You can easily make it in advance and reheat it just before serving.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- One 14-ounce can peeled tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- Two 14-ounce cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- A few sprigs of thyme
- ½ cup tightly packed coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, beans, thyme, and parsley and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.