- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 17 Times
- 2 medium eggplants cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 large yellow squash cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large red bell peppers cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound whole wheat orzo, cooked
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Stir together eggplant, onions, half of the oil and salt in a large roasting pan, and then roast mixture in middle of the oven, stirring occasionally, 12- 15 minutes. Stir in squash, bell peppers, 2 tablespoons oil, and more salt and roast mixture, stirring occasionally, until bell peppers are tender. This will take approximately 1/2 an hour.
Then, simmer tomatoes, garlic, thyme, remaining oil, and salt in a saucepan, stirring occasionally, until thickened and bringing all the flavors to life, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir tomatoes into roasted vegetables and season ratatouille.
Serve with whole wheat orzo and garnish with parsley and basil.
© 2014 Jon Ashton
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and includes 1 teaspoon of added salt.