Here’s a different muffin, lighter than the classic blueberry one. These teeny-weeny raspberry treats baked in petit four cases are adorable to serve with coffee.
- 1½ sticks (6oz) butter
- ¾ cup (3oz) ground almonds
- 1½ tablespoons lemon rind
- 1 heaped cup (4½oz) glutenfree confectioners’ sugar, sifted, plus extra for dusting (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fine cornmeal (polenta), sifted
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, sifted
- 5 egg whites, preferably free range
- ¾ cup (6oz) fresh raspberries
- Bun pan lined with paper cases
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Melt the butter in a saucepan and cook until it is very light golden in color.
Mix together the ground almonds, lemon rind, confectioners’ sugar, cornmeal and cornstarch in a large bowl and pour in the melted butter. Gently mix together and fold in the lightly beaten egg whites.
Pour the mixture into the paper cases (or use 24 petitfour cases to make mini ones) and dot with raspberries.
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until golden and springy to touch.
Cool on wire racks and sprinkle with extra gluten-free confectioners’ sugar, if you wish, before serving.
Serving size is 1 mini muffin.